[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 09:17:59 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:30 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Tarek Ziadé writes:
>
>  > The problem is, any project would start overriding the stdlib to
>  > fix things or change some behavior, unless this is somehow
>  > controlled.
>
> But in the end, that's precisely what you propose to do yourself with
> "partial stdlib upgrades"!
>
> It's just that you trust yourself more than you trust "any project".
> But that just doesn't fly from the point of the third party clients of
> the stdlib.  Either stability of any particular version's stdlib
> applies to the stdlib developers too, or it doesn't really apply at
> all.

If the maintainer of unittest for example, provides an upgrade for this
package, don't you think we can trust that he will provide a more
stable upgrade for the unittest package in the stdlib than another
project that would implement a unittest package ?

So no, I don't think you can compare a potential upgrade
from a stdlib package maintainer with an upgrade issued from
someone else.

So, by "controlled" I mean releasing official upgrades of the stdlib,
people know they were built by the same maintainers.

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org