[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Wed Jun 9 13:34:56 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/06/10 19:05, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> And "not putting distutils2 in the stdlib" is not the solution because
>> this is a problem
>> for all packages in there.
>>
>> That's exactly what unitest currently do (but with a new name "unittest2")
>> and as soon as Python 2.7 final will be out, unittest will have the
>> same problem:
>> it won't be able to backport new features anymore under the same
>> namespace.
>
> Something we may want to seriously consider is maintaining parallel releases
> of packages indefinitely when the benefits are deemed to justify the
> additional overheads.

I had a very similar thought. Why not have all the real development of
those packages happen outside of the standard lib and just grab the
latest stable version when cutting a new version of Python.

Namespaces are fine, but I'd be happy enough with a way for these
packages to show up on the Python path before the stdlib.

--
David
blog: http://www.traceback.org