[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jun 9 14:40:57 CEST 2010

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 22:13:51 +1000

> Make no mistake, something like this would be quite a bit of work, but
> it would be far from impossible and could go a long way towards fighting
> the impression that the standard library is the place where modules go
> to die.

Isn't that "impression" largely constructed, and propagated by a
limited number of people who apparently don't like the very idea of a
"batteries included" stdlib?  There has been an amount of anti-stdlib
activism (including in this thread) that I find both antagonizing and
unconstructive.  Outside of that vocal minority, there doesn't seem to
be that much criticism against the stdlib.

The reality is that there are regularly feature requests on the tracker,
and many of them get accepted and committed (of course, when no
patch is submitted and no core developer is interested, things have a
tendency to linger on; but it's the same for outside libraries too;
take a look at bug trackers for e.g. nose or twisted, and you'll see
many open entries that have been resting for years).

Regards

Antoine.