[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Jun 9 15:10:23 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Something we may want to seriously consider is maintaining parallel releases
> of packages indefinitely when the benefits are deemed to justify the
> additional overheads.

And this provides an opportunity to bring the workload back under
control, as well: if we continue the non-stdlib releases for these
packages, all we really need to do is remember not to add them to the
stdlib in the first place.

The one case where we clearly get some win by having the newer package
rolled in is distutils2, since that's really about a core service that
needs to be available for everyone.

  -Fred