[Python-ideas] Moving development out of the standard library

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Jun 9 15:34:23 CEST 2010

Le mercredi 09 juin 2010 à 09:19 -0400, Fred Drake a écrit :

> I don't think so.  I've no particular dislike of "batteries included"
> per se.  What I don't like is dealing with packages that may or may not
> be in the standard library (that affects the requirements for my
> software),

I don't understand what you mean. Are these packages in the stdlib or
aren't they? It can't be both.

> Writing cross-Python-version code that deals with the differences
> between the stdlib and 3rd-party versions of packages is certainly
> unconstructive, but that's an argument to avoid moving packages into the
> standard library.

I don't see how, really. You make it sound like you have to deal with
several versions of the stdlib, but not with several versions of
external packages. I wonder why: do you force your users to install
version X of module Y?

More generally, it seems that people are reproaching things to the
stdlib that are equally true for non-stdlib modules. This is quite
bewildering to me.