[Python-ideas] Rename time module to "posixtime"

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 19:10:00 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 09:44:59AM -0400, Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

> I am not proposing to eliminate any functionality.  My proposal is
> primarily driven by the desire to untangle low level circular
> dependency between time and datetime modules and to clarify the
> purpose of keeping functionality in time module that duplicates that
> in datetime.
>
> Another part of my proposal is to provide pure python implementation
> for time module functions in terms of datetime API.  This will serve
> as both executable documentation and best practices guide.  (Assuming
> the best practice is to use datetime module exclusively.)

This is a clear idea you are having for datetime + (possibly a) pure
python posixtime module. The reference implementation as well as
documentation will definitely be beneficial in the long run.

So, +1 for your proposal.

> I would not mind keeping time.py indefinitely with or without
> deprecation warnings.

Yeah, this would ensure the backwards compatibility.

--
Senthil

Have a place for everything and keep the thing somewhere else; this is not
advice, it is merely custom.
		-- Mark Twain