[Python-ideas] feature to make traceback objects usable without references to frame locals and globals

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Jun 27 20:00:01 CEST 2010

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:20:07 +0200
"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> Not necessarily roll back the feature, but an implementation
> that deliberately introduces circular references is not really
> ideal.
>
> Since tracebacks on exceptions are rarely used by applications,
> I think it would be better to turn them into weak references.

How do you manage to get a strong reference before the traceback object
gets deleted?
Besides, an API which gives some information in an unreliable manner
does not seem very user-friendly to me.

I think I like the OP's idea better: allow to release the references to
local and global variables from the frames in the traceback. This is
keeps a lot of potentially large objects alive - some of which may also
keep some OS resources busy.