[Python-ideas] __metafunc__

Zac Burns zac256 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:31:20 CET 2010

I would like to propose a __metafunc__ that would work similar to
metaclasses but for functions.

My use case is for duck punching all functions defined in a module.  This
tends to be difficult as a postprocess after __import__ (you have to modify
method.im_func and deal with closures and functions in the module namespace
that might be references to functions defined elsewhere - it's a mess).

If instead when defining a function it did a lookup of __metafunc__ and
called it (like a decorator) after a function was defined then I could
import the module in a globals that includes my __metafunc__.

Feel free to tear this idea apart, improve it, or dash it on the rocks.
Perhaps some of you will also see use cases for this or something like it?

Zachary Burns
Aim - Zac256FL
Production Engineer (Digital Overlord)
Zindagi Games