[Python-ideas] Making Python more enterprise technology

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Mon May 10 05:28:59 CEST 2010

2010/5/9 Dj Gilcrease <digitalxero at gmail.com>:
> 2010/5/9 Filip Gruszczyński <gruszczy at gmail.com>:
>> For some reason Python seems not to be seen as an enterprise
>> technology unlike Java or .net. ... What Python is lacking?

> The only thing lacking from Python / Django to make it "Enterprise
> Ready" is an SLA (Service Level Agreement) that said enterprise
> company can pay 200k/y for that gets them nothing.

There are also some dynamic/security tradeoffs that BigCorp would make
differently.  In python, I can reset the values of sys.*, and it will
affect other programs running on the same virtual machine.  There
isn't really any good way to detect (let alone prevent) this.  [Err,
unless you count running different processes on different virtual
machines, which is what they already do in for Java *in practice*, but
... somehow it isn't acceptable to rely on that.]

-jJ