[Python-ideas] Making Python more enterprise technology

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 12 05:13:15 CEST 2010

Mark Summerfield writes:

 > As far as I'm aware no big company specifically promoted or promotes C++

That's because the U.S. government dismembered it and in the process
kneecapped a national treasure.  :-P

 > If Python were to be [ISO] standardized it would become much more
 > visible and a much safer corporate bet.

Perl managed without it, and AFAIK there is no ISO or ANSI Java,
either (the #3 Google hit was "Sun Drops ISO Java Standards Effort For
Good" from 1999).  Admittedly, EMCAscript is there, but that came
afterward, pushed by enterprises that had already adopted Javascript,
and wanted to stop the Netscape vs. Microsoft whipsaw.

In fact, Python not only has an excellent standard, but it has
excellent testing of the standard, what with 4 major implementations
aiming for conformance IIUC, plus assorted near-implementations such
as Cython and Stackless.  I suspect that a well-run marketing campaign
by the PSF, starting by trademarking "Standard Python" and getting
some funding to set up a conformance testing certification program,
would do wonders at not such great expense.