[Python-ideas] Making Python more enterprise technology

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 12 09:56:12 CEST 2010

Mark Summerfield writes:

 > On 2010-05-12, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

 > > In fact, Python not only has an excellent standard, but it has
 > > excellent testing of the standard, what with 4 major implementations
 > > aiming for conformance IIUC, plus assorted near-implementations such
 > > as Cython and Stackless.  I suspect that a well-run marketing campaign
 > > by the PSF, starting by trademarking "Standard Python" and getting
 > > some funding to set up a conformance testing certification program,
 > > would do wonders at not such great expense.
 >
 > I'm sure you're right, but I guess it would be quite an undertaking.

I'm not at all sure I'm right<wink>, but the point is that it need not
be such a huge undertaking.  There are some governments out there who
might be willing to supply some funding, and perhaps some
consultancies might like to get into the certification game for fun
and profit.

It wouldn't be as big as deal as ISO, of course, but you get what you
pay for (even if it's just a fancier rubber stamp!)  OTOH, you might
attract the attention of an on-average smarter crowd of PHBs this way,
even if it's smaller than ISO certification would get.  That has its
advantages, too.