[Python-ideas] Accepting "?" as a valid character for identifiers

Chris Rebert pyideas at rebertia.com
Tue Nov 2 05:26:14 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM, average <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another drawback of introducing such a convention this late in the design
>> of
>> the language is that you can never have it applied consistently.  Changing
>> the builtin and stdlib instances alone would need hundreds of
>> compatibility
>> aliases.
>>
> Actually, I think this would improve the standard library dramatically.
> Particularly, if it was coupled with a complete redesign/philosophy for
> naming conventions with respect to verb/noun, methods/properties,
> adverbs/adjectives (as modifiers to their respective parts of speech).

That's a mighty big "if". Woe to those tasked with refactoring the std
lib to make it compliant ("batteries included" is a liability in this
case). Woe to all the users who would have to make numerous trivial,
fiddly code changes.
Hell, parts of the std lib aren't even currently PEP 8-compliant, much
less PEP "8.5"-compliant.

Perhaps in Python 4 there will be "The Great Std Lib Refactoring of
2025". :-) Until then, good luck.

Cheers,
Chris
--