[Python-ideas] time.wallclock() or other similar stuff

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 16:02:47 CET 2010

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 13:43:04 +0000
Rob Cliffe <rob.cliffe at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I beg to differ.
> Seeing "wall clock" just confused me - my reaction was what the ..... is
> he talking about?  Even when I understood it, it didn't seem a very
> appropriate name - I would have found something like "system clock" or
> "system time" more intelligible.
> Whereas "timer" is a very familiar concept (in computing, and in life in
> general).
> And I think most people are familiar with time.time(), so will recognize
> that time.timer() is something different.  Though I agree it would be
> better if the names were more different.

I share this point of view. "wallclock" is really misleading, it simply does not tell what the object is, let's one guess something totally different; and what about its purpose? (also think at  non-english speakers).
Imo, "timer" is exactly the proper term -- the issue due to proximity with "time" is real, but far less important.

Denis
vit esse estrany ☣

spir.wikidot.com