[Python-ideas] Factory functions (was: RE: time.wallclock() or other similar stuff)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Nov 3 12:44:41 CET 2010

Kristján Valur Jónsson wrote:
> What is a class but a factory function?
> As you explain it, providing a factory function is merely a fancy way of saying: "Look, don't subclass this class, since we might change it."
> Wouldn't it be better to be explicit about it?

Isn't using a factory function instead of a class explicit enough ?

> But even builtin classes are subclassable now, and people rely in internal features of all LIB classes at their peril, so I can't see that this matters.

I lost you there.

The key difference is that issubclass() or isinstance() checks
are not possible with factory functions. On that's done on purpose,
since either the implementation cannot guarantee that the used classes
are singletons or it decides on the used implementation depending
on what it finds installed on the system.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 03 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/