[Python-ideas] Adding `Unpicklable` to the `collections` module

Scott Dial scott+python-ideas at scottdial.com
Sun Nov 28 11:24:02 CET 2010

On 11/28/2010 4:11 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:31:02 -0500
> Scott Dial <scott+python-ideas at scottdial.com>
> wrote:
>> On 11/23/2010 6:32 PM, Greg Ewing wrote:
>>> Nonpickleable?
>>>

>> Ephemeral?
>>
>> As an added bonus, twisted already uses this terminology, see:
>> twisted.persisted.styles.Ephemeral.
>
> Twisted has a taste for "smart" obscure names (can you guess what
> Avatar and Portal are for?),

"pickle" is an ironic context to complain about "smart" obscure names.
Anyways, yes, I do know what those classes are, but I have used them
before. Analogously, I suspect that is also the only reason why
"Nonpickleable" seems like an "obvious" choice to you.

But, next you are gonna want a "NonMarshalable" and "NonJSONable" and
"NonBananaable" and "NonJellyable" and every other version of
persistence. Or, you pick a name that describes the property that you
really want to describe (e.g., ephemeral).

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com
scodial at cs.indiana.edu