[Python-ideas] Adding `Unpicklable` to the `collections` module

Scott Dial scott+python-ideas at scottdial.com
Sun Nov 28 12:06:05 CET 2010

On 11/28/2010 5:31 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Le dimanche 28 novembre 2010 à 05:24 -0500, Scott Dial a écrit :
>> On 11/28/2010 4:11 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2010 21:31:02 -0500
>>> Scott Dial <scott+python-ideas at scottdial.com>

>>> Twisted has a taste for "smart" obscure names (can you guess what
>>> Avatar and Portal are for?),
>>
>> "pickle" is an ironic context to complain about "smart" obscure names.
>> Anyways, yes, I do know what those classes are, but I have used them
>> before.
>> Analogously, I suspect that is also the only reason why
>> "Nonpickleable" seems like an "obvious" choice to you.
>
> Nonpickleable (spelling and casing notwithstanding) quite obviously
> means "which can't be pickled". I'm not sure what you're arguing about,
> or if you're just arguing for the sake of having an argument :)

I don't know why you snipped and ignored the part where I explained why
"Ephemeral" was a better choice:

On 11/28/2010 5:24 AM, Scott Dial wrote:
> But, next you are gonna want a "NonMarshalable" and "NonJSONable" and
> "NonBananaable" and "NonJellyable" and every other version of
> persistence. Or, you pick a name that describes the property that you
> really want to describe (e.g., ephemeral).

The OPs problem happens to be using "pickle", but this is not a problem
exclusive to pickling; there are a bunch of serialization methods in the
stdlib and elsewhere, and his question generalizes to all of them.

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com
scodial at cs.indiana.edu