[Python-ideas] Adding `Unpicklable` to the `collections` module

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Nov 28 12:27:39 CET 2010

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 06:06:05 -0500
Scott Dial <scott+python-ideas at scottdial.com>
wrote:

> I don't know why you snipped and ignored the part where I explained why
> "Ephemeral" was a better choice:

Because it is simply mistaken. "Ephemeral" doesn't equate "can't be
pickled".
Ephemeral basically means very short-lived, but this says nothing about
the ability to transport said data over the network or a local pipe or
socket. Moreover, a datum can be short-lived on disk, or long-lived
in RAM. You are confusing serialization with persistence.

> The OPs problem happens to be using "pickle", but this is not a problem
> exclusive to pickling; there are a bunch of serialization methods in the
> stdlib and elsewhere, and his question generalizes to all of them.

It really doesn't. There are lots of things which are pickleable but
can't be serialized with e.g. JSON or XMLRPC.

Regards

Antoine.