[Python-ideas] Adding `Unpicklable` to the `collections` module

Tue Nov 30 05:38:39 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Ben Finney
<ben+python at benfinney.id.au<ben%2Bpython at benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:

>  > "a tabular statement of the assigned places of a celestial body for
> > regular intervals ". Such tables are produced and use by astronomers
> > and used by navigators to determine ship position at night. And yes,
> > astrologers piggyback their crap on such tables also ;-).
>

> by people who were simultaneously practicing what we would today
> distinguish as both astrology and astronomy. The astrology crap was not
> piggybacked, but integral to the process and purpose of the ephemeris
> from its beginning, until we finally teased them apart.

"Astrology" and "astronomy" are clearly misnamed.

X-ology = the study of X. What do astronomers do? They study stars.

X+nomy = the laws of X. What do astrologers do? They "show" how the laws of
the stars rule our lives.

Clearly, we need to fire up the time machine and fix this one, or astronomy
will never get the increased userbase it deserves.