[Python-ideas] In-process interpreters
dimaqq at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 08:14:14 CET 2010
Perhaps you can clarify what exactly you want to do.
I can see at least 2 distict cases
1. Multithreaded web server (or even browser)
* interpreters need separate imports
at least pure python modules should be loaded and unloaded,
different versions of same python modules could be used by different
if different versions of C extensions are needed, different dynamic
loading might be needed
btw, is it still the case that C extensions cannot be unloaded?
* interpreters need separate memory regions
so that individual interpreters can be killed quickly
2. Long-running process that executes many small independent user
scripts (e.g. phone)
* memory could be shared as long as cross-references are forbidden
garbage collector hopefully kill circular references after
interpreter is terminated
* long-running process might want to reload a C extension, ouch
* a possible workaround would be execute only one interpreter at a time,
somehow pickling user script state?
More information about the Python-ideas