[Python-ideas] Pythonic Dates, Times, and Deltas

Daniel G. Taylor dan at programmer-art.org
Wed Oct 13 22:04:28 CEST 2010

  Hey,

I've recently been doing a lot of work with dates related to payment and
statistics processing at work and have run into several annoyances with
the built-in datetime, date, time, timedelta, etc classes, even when
adding in relativedelta. They are awkward, non-intuitive and not at all
Pythonic to me. Over the past year I've written up a library for making
my life a bit easier and  figured I would post some information here to
see what others think, and to gauge whether or not such a library might
be PEP-worthy.

My original post about it was here:

http://programmer-art.org/articles/programming/pythonic-date

The github project page is here:

http://github.com/danielgtaylor/paodate

This is code that is and has been running in production environments for
months but may still contain bugs. I have tried to include unit tests
and ample documentation. I'd love to get some feedback and people's
thoughts.

I would also love to hear what others find is difficult or missing from
the built-in date and time handling.

Take care,

--
Daniel G. Taylor