[Python-ideas] Add a site.cfg to keep a persistent list of paths

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 11:57:03 CEST 2010

On 19 October 2010 22:26, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's one feature I want to add in distutils2: the develop command
> setuptools provides. Basically it adds a "link" file into
> site-packages, and does some magic at startup to load the path that is
> contained in the link file. The use case is to be able to have a
> project added in the python path without installing it.

Can you explain the requirement in more detail? I don't use the
setuptools develop command, so I don't have the background, but it
seems to me that what you're proposing can be done simply by adding
the relevant directory to PYTHONPATH. That's all I ever do when
developing (but my needs are pretty simple, so there may well be
subtle problems with that approach).

Paul