[Python-ideas] Add a site.cfg to keep a persistent list of paths

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Oct 20 21:20:40 CEST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > If you're saying that Foo *isn't* a package itself, so Foo/__init__.py
> > doesn't exist, and bar and baz should be visible unqualified, then I
> > begin to see your issue (although my first reaction is to say "don't
> > do that, then" :-)). But don't you then just need to search *parents*
> > of elements of PYTHONPATH as well for the metadata search? If that's
> > an issue then doesn't that mean you've got other problems with how
> > people structure their directories? Actually, I suspect my picture
> > above is wrong, as I can't honestly see that mandating that the
> > dist-info file be a *sibling* (in an arbitrarily cluttered directory)
> > of the project directory, is sensible...
>
> yeah that the main issue: we can't make assumptions on how the source
> tree looks in the project, so adding the root path will not work all
> the time. Some people even have two separate root packages. Which is
> not a good layout, but allowed.. In Zope, I think the convention is to
> use a src/ directory so that's another level.

Setuptools puts the files in the src/ directory in that case.  More
complicated layouts simply aren't supported, and generally no one complains
as more complicated layouts are uncommon and a sign someone's head is
somewhere very different than where they would be if they were using
setup.py develop.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org