[Python-ideas] pythonv / Python path

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat Oct 23 23:33:38 CEST 2010

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> Is this email meant to simply point out the existence of pythonv, or
> to start a conversation about whether something should be tweaked in
> Python so as to make pythonv/virtualenv easier to implement/use?

Both?  I have felt guilty for not following up on what Larry did, so this is
my other-people-should-think-about-this-too email.

> If it's the latter then let's have the conversation! This was brought
> up at the PyCon US 2010 language summit and the consensus was that
> modifying Python to make something like virtualenv or pythonv easier
> to implement is completely acceptable and something worth doing.

OK, sure!  Mostly it's about changing site.py.  The pythonv executable is
itself very simple, just a shim to make #! easier.  For Windows it would
have to be different (maybe similar to Setuptools' cmd.exe), but... I think
it's possible, and I'd just hope some Windows people would explore what
specifically is needed.

virtualenv has another feature, which isn't part of pythonv and needn't be
part of Python, which is to bootstrap installation tools.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org