[Python-ideas] textFromMap(seq , map=None , sep='' , ldelim='', rdelim='')

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Oct 26 18:09:23 CEST 2010

Boris Borcic wrote:

> And let's then propagate that notion, to a *coherent* definition of
> split that makes it as well a method on the separator.

Let's not.

Splitting is not something that you on the separator, it's something you
do on the source string. I'm sure you wouldn't expect this:

":".find("key:value")
=> 3

Nor should we expect this:

":".split("key:value")
=> ["key", "value"]

You perform a search *on* the source string, not the target substring.
Likewise you split the source string, not the separator.

--
Steven