[Python-ideas] Ordered storage of keyword arguments

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Oct 29 10:30:26 CEST 2010

Greg Ewing wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> Python has always tried
>> to make the most common use case simple, so asking programmers to
>> use a meta-class to be able to access the order of definitions
>> in a class definition isn't exactly what the normal Python
>> programmer would expect.
>
> But needing to know the order of definitions in a class
> is a very uncommon thing to want to do in the first
> place.

I've already pointed to a couple of existing use cases where the
authors had to play all sorts of tricks to access the order of
such definitions.

Since Python programs are executed sequentially (within the resp.
scope) in the order given in the source file, it is quite natural
to expect this order to be accessible somehow.

If it were easier to access this order, a lot of the extra magic
needed to map fixed order records to Python classes could go
away.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 29 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/