[Python-ideas] Accepting "?" as a valid character for identifiers

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Oct 31 21:58:28 CET 2010

Andre Roberge wrote:
> In some languages (e.g. Scheme, Ruby, etc.), the question mark character
> (?) is a valid character for identifiers.  I find that using it well can
> improve readability of programs written in those languages.

Opinions differ on that. I find that having punctuation mixed
in with identifiers makes the code *harder* to read. My wetware
parser makes a clear distinction between characters that can be
part of words and characters that separate words, and '?' falls
very much into the latter category for me.

Also, if we did this, it would preclude ever being able to use
the characters concerned as operators in the future.

--
Greg