[Python-ideas] with statement syntax forces ugly line breaks?

Georg Brandl g.brandl at gmx.net
Wed Sep 8 20:07:56 CEST 2010

Am 08.09.2010 18:50, schrieb Mark Summerfield:
> Hi,
>
> I can't see a _nice_ way of splitting a with statement over mulitple
> lines:
>
> class FakeContext:
>     def __init__(self, name):
>         self.name = name
>     def __enter__(self):
>         print("enter", self.name)
>     def __exit__(self, *args):
>         print("exit", self.name)
>
> with FakeContext("a") as a, FakeContext("b") as b:
>     pass # works fine
>

> with FakeContext("a") as a,
>      FakeContext("b") as b:
>     pass # synax error
>

> with (FakeContext("a") as a,
>       FakeContext("b") as b):
>     pass # synax error

In addition to the backslash hint already given, I'd like to explain why
this version isn't allowed: the parser couldn't distinguish between a
multi-context with and an expression in parentheses.

(In the case of import, where parens can be used around the import list,
this is different, no arbitrary expression is allowed.)

Georg