[Python-ideas] with statement syntax forces ugly line breaks?

Andy Buckley andy at insectnation.org
Thu Sep 9 11:06:25 CEST 2010

On 09/09/10 00:47, Mike Graham wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've sometimes wondered if we should consider the idea of making line
>> continuation implicit between keywords and their associated colons.
>
> This would also have the nice aesthetic quality of making colons serve
> a purpose.

Good point! I'm regularly niggled that backslash continuations are
needed for long conditional statements where parentheses are not
logically necessary (and look disturbingly unpythonic.) There's no
ambiguity in allowing statements to extend until the colon, particularly
if Greg's "at least as far" indentation rule is applied. +1 from me.

Andy