[Python-ideas] ABC: what about the method arguments ?

Daniel Stutzbach daniel at stutzbachenterprises.com
Fri Sep 24 16:17:19 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> Can this work? Split the current test suite for a concrete class that
> implements one of the ABCs into concrete-specific and ABC-general portions,
> with the abstract part parameterized by concrete class.
>
> For instance, split test/test_dict.py into test_dict.py and
> test_Mapping.py, where the latter has all tests that test compliance with
> the Mapping ABC (or whatever it is called) and the former keeps all the
> dict-specific extension tests. Rewrite test_Mapping so it is not dict
> specific, so one could write something like

As a heavy user of the ABCs in the collections module, that would be
awesome. :-)  It would make my life a lot easier when I'm writing tests to
go along with an ABC-derived class.  I have 8 such classes on PyPi
(heapdict.heapdict and blist.*), plus more in private repositories.

There is some code vaguely along those lines in the existing unit tests.
 For example, Lib/test/seq_tests.py contains tests common to sequences.
 However, that was written before collections.Sequence came along and the
pre-2.6 definition of "sequence" only loosely correlates with a
collections.Sequence.

--
Daniel Stutzbach, Ph.D.
President, Stutzbach Enterprises, LLC <http://stutzbachenterprises.com/>