[Python-ideas] Assignments in list/generator expressions

Eugene Toder eltoder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 06:10:38 CEST 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> And we already have one kind of expression that owes its existence
> almost entirely to the suboptimal workaround people were using to get
> around the fact it wasn't available* :)

And 5 years later there are still people out there who prefer using
and/or trick. They tend to say something about the new ways being too
new and the old ways being good enough :)

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Your continued insistence on hearing an explanation why it is missing
> is beginning to sound more and more like asking when Python stopped
> beating his wife.

Sorry, I don't get the reference.

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> (This is not unusual. We get a lot of questions phrased as "why does
> Python not do X?" Do you think that is a good way to get a discussion
> started?)

In my defense, I'm actually more interested in the history than in
adding this feature, as I find the lack of it a pretty small niggle.
The discussion was started with specific examples and suggestions, but
it was not very interesting so far, because many (not all) responses
are a generic 'new features are bad because they are new' and it's
very hard to argue with that :-) And I do not dispute the fact that
new features need a high level of scrutiny.

Eugene