[Python-ideas] PEP-3150

Thu Apr 14 07:46:45 CEST 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 8:33 AM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>> assigned to the __doc__ attribute of whatever object the
>> RHS expression returns.
>
> Ah, true, that would make a lot of sense. It also generalises nicely
> to other cases like "return" and "yield" as well. I'll see if I can
> thrash out something sensible along those lines.

So, in the case of

def decorator(f):
    return decorated given:
        "Docstring A..."
        def decorated(*args, **kwargs):
            "Docstring B..."
            do something...

it would be docstring A that gets put on the decorated function, not
docstring B? I guess I can kind of see the reasoning there, but it
seems a little weird.

Also, this case (and the general issue of callbacks, thunks, etc.)
seems to be crying out for a special convenience syntax to save a
level indenting. But would that just add needlessly to the complexity
of the language?

-- Carl