[Python-ideas] Add create mode to open()

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Aug 17 02:58:36 CEST 2011

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> So what's the use case?

I agree that I don't see the use case that isn't already adequately
covered. You generally get what you explicitly ask for, and that's how
it should be.

A point of correction, though:

> In general when using a command line environment overwriting the file
> is what you *want* to happen. Like with Unix "foo >bar". I don't even
> think there *is* a shell syntax for not overwriting an existing file,

The ‘bash(1)’ man page describes the ‘noclobber’ option:

    If the redirection operator is >, and the noclobber option to the
    set builtin has been enabled, the redirection will fail if the file
    whose name results from the expansion of word exists and is a
    regular file.

--
 \       “If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else |
  `\   flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye |