[Python-ideas] ctypes and extensions

Jeremy Sanders jeremy at jeremysanders.net
Sun Aug 28 12:35:45 CEST 2011

Paul Colomiets wrote:

> So what's the problem with cython? It solves your problem well.

I think it works for the cpython case outside the standard library. However,
my idea was a simple binary ABI which would be very easy for any python
implementation to use, and so would would be suitable for wrapping libraries
in the standard library.

Maybe there are cython implementations coming soon available for pypy,
jython, ironpython, etc...? These would still have to compile to C code to
get build time API checking, which is one of the ctypes issues.

Jeremy