[Python-ideas] Add from __experimental__ import bla [was: Should we move to replace re with regex?]

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Aug 30 02:00:15 CEST 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

[Lots of stuff I agree with, and then]

> Here's another potentially useful litmus test question for Guido: if
> it was spelled "from __experimental__ import ipaddr", would you be
> more inclined to approve PEP 3144 (IP address library) for 3.3?

IIRC the issue with that PEP is that there is a stand-off between two
authors of competing implementations, and I don't have enough
understanding of the issues to be able to tell who's right. (Or maybe
they're both right and they're just aiming at different audiences --
but I can't even tell that.)

I think we need to have someone who cares more (but is not either of
those authors) to review the PEP and its criticism and decide on a way
forward.

(Or am I being too soft? If nobody cares I'd be happy to toss a coin.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)