[Python-ideas] Add from __experimental__ import bla [was: Should we move to replace re with regex?]

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Aug 30 02:58:59 CEST 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 17:00:15 -0700
Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [Lots of stuff I agree with, and then]
>
> > Here's another potentially useful litmus test question for Guido: if
> > it was spelled "from __experimental__ import ipaddr", would you be
> > more inclined to approve PEP 3144 (IP address library) for 3.3?
>
> IIRC the issue with that PEP is that there is a stand-off between two
> authors of competing implementations, and I don't have enough
> understanding of the issues to be able to tell who's right. (Or maybe
> they're both right and they're just aiming at different audiences --
> but I can't even tell that.)

That's my understanding as well.
Also, I seem to remember at least one of the two implementations was
criticized on some of its design decisions (was it the fact that
networks and addresses used a common class? sorry if I'm making things
up here), but the author didn't want to change the API.

Regards

Antoine.