[Python-ideas] Add from __experimental__ import bla [was: Should we move to replace re with regex?]

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 19:52:51 CEST 2011

> How about 3.3.3 -> 3.3.4 is a "minor" release, 3.3 -> 3.4 is a
> "feature" release and 3 -> 4 is not something we generally talk about
> (or "compatibility-breaking" or something like that).

The issue with that is that the "y" in 'Python x.y.z' is usually
called the minor release (see:
http://docs.python.org/devguide/devcycle.html ). Switching which digit
the minor release is would be confusing when reading older documents.
It might be better to instead keep the old name, "bugfix", since that
isn't confusing.

Then we would be left with "compatibility-breaking.feature.bugfix",
which isn't really bad in any sense I can see (aside perhaps from
being new and unusual?)

Devin