[Python-ideas] Python Isn't Perfect: adding a 'gotchas' section to the tutorial

Richard Prosser richard.prosser at mail.com
Sun Dec 11 22:30:54 CET 2011

Ned,

I accept your comment about the tutorial - I wasn't sure about that. Thanks.

However I still feel that there are some aspects of the language which are
not in the true spirit of Python (i.e. 'intuitive').

The discussion about default mutable types is one of these. It seems to me
that the essential problem is that of assignment in general, which (I
believe) creates a reference on the LHS to the object on the RHS, rather
than having a copy operation to make the two objects completely separate.
That can be confusing in other contexts, not just with default parameters.

If I am to write a 'gotchas' FAQ or whatever then I would like to
understand the reasoning behind such design decisions but I can't find any
'deep' explanations at present - just several posts about people being
puzzled! A similar comment applies to the lack of type declarations.

So if you or anyone else can explain exactly why such odditties are
implemented I would be grateful.

Unfortunately it is almost certainly too late to propose fixes (if
appropriate) for such quirks in Python 3 but at least I should be able
provide arguments as to why things are done the way they are.

Richard