[Python-ideas] Transportable indent level markers. >>>===<<<

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 15 00:53:55 CET 2011

On 12/13/2011 10:53 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Terry Reedy<tjreedy at udel.edu>  wrote:
>> On 12/12/2011 5:07 PM, Ron Adam wrote:
>>
>>> To make that work, we need to use unique character sequences that aren't
>>> already used.  After some thought, I came up with these indent-markers.
>>>
>>>      ///   # indent level +1
>>>      ;;;   # indent level +0
>>>      \\\   # indent level -1

My objection to these is that the interpretation is arbitrary; I happen
to read them the wrong way.

>> ===
>> <<<
>> would work even better ;-).
>
> No they wouldn't, these are too similar to the markers left behind by
> merge tools for unmergable sections. Those markers were chosen because
> they are unlikely to occur in regular code. Let's keep it that way.
> :-)

Funny. I choose them for the same reason. >>> is also bad because some
mail agents, like Thunderbird not only interpret initial runs of > as
message quotes but replace them with various colored bars. So if this
were a serious idea, I would propose something else like
->|
-|-
|<-
But a moot point unless we actually do want a standardized transport
encoding for indents and dedents.

--
Terry Jan Reedy