[Python-ideas] Idea: Google Groups web interface for Ideas

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 11:00:55 CET 2011

On Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:53:56 PM UTC+3, RunThePun wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 7:01 PM, anatoly techtonik <tech... at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> As you may know, the python-ideas list is opened only to subscribers.
>> This is inconvenient, because:
>> 1. it requires three step subscription process
>> 2. it is impossible to post a reply to existing thread/idea
>>
>> There is a web-interface in Google Groups at https://groups.google.com/**
>> forum/#!forum/python-ideas<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/python-ideas> that
>> can solve problems above and provide some more nifty features such as
>> embedded search.  But there comes another problem that messages posted
>> through the group doesn't end in list, because list requires subscription.
>>  I've already tried to find a solution, but run out of time, so I
>> summarized the proposal at
>> http://wiki.python.org/moin/MailmanWithGoogleGroups
>>
>> I may or may not be able to publish outcomes of my research, so it would
>> be nice to get some help in investigating the problem and publishing a
>> solution on aforementioned wiki page. Thanks.
>>

> Concerning the search problem I've used google queries as such:
>
>     list comprehensions site:
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/
>
> I agree that having a "nosey" or "star" feature like issue trackers could
> be nice, though I'm not sure Google Groups is the most modern
> infrastructure to solve all our problems. I remember hearing that open
> google groups get a lot of spam for example.

Over last six months I found only 3 spam messages sent from
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/python-ideas and for some reason I
think that my mailbox filter would be smart enough to put them into
appropriate folder even they came from Mailman.

Maybe mailman can be improved?
>   eg would it help if the PyPI login cookie allowed you to post on
> mailman? If mailman allowed starring threads?

Certainly. But the threads should be stacked in different order that just
by month, because some threads can span over several months.