[Python-ideas] Idea: Google Groups web interface for Ideas

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 11:11:03 CET 2011

On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:52:49 AM UTC+3, Terry Reedy wrote:

> On 12/27/2011 12:01 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> > As you may know, the python-ideas list is opened only to subscribers.
> > This is inconvenient, because:
> > 1. it requires three step subscription process
> > 2. it is impossible to post a reply to existing thread/idea
> >
> > There is a web-interface in Google Groups at
> > https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/python-ideas
> > <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/python-ideas> that can solve
> > problems above and provide some more nifty features such as embedded
> > search. But there comes another problem that messages posted through the
> > group doesn't end in list, because list requires subscription. I've
> > already tried to find a solution, but run out of time, so I summarized
> > the proposal at http://wiki.python.org/moin/MailmanWithGoogleGroups
>
> I interact with this list as newsgroup gmane.comp.python.ideas via
> news.gmane.org. The first post, which can be (and usually should be) a
> reply to an existing post, requires that one respond to an email to the
> from address. This is the miminum necessary to protect from spam. No big
> deal.
>
> Google mail and google groups are main gateways for spam on python list.
> We do not need that here.

Does Mailman support confirmation for messages with high SPAM ratio?

There is already an Groups interface
at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/python-ideas/ and if a person is
not subscribed in Mailman, the message appears in Group, but doesn't appear
in Mailman even after the person is finally subscribed (if that persons
notices and understands Mailman bounce message instructing him to
subscribe).

Somebody needs to put a notice about obligatory subscription to Mailman to
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/python-ideas/ if nobody wants more
tight groups integration.