[Python-ideas] [Python-Dev] hello, new dict addition for new eve ?

Jakob Bowyer jkbbwr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:39:13 CET 2011

Not that I'm smart enough to really contribute to these discussions but wouldn't it be an idea to have dictionary addition turn the values from d2 into d1 so that

d1 = {1:1,2:2,3:3}
d2 = {1:2,2:2,4:4}
d3 = d1 + d2
print d3
# {1:2,2:2,3:3,4:4}
# but
d4 = d2 + d1
print d4
# {1:1,2:2,3:3,4:4}

Meaning that replacement is conditional on which side the other dictionary is on with the + operator. This might be harder to understand. So it's not a great idea... Still throwing it in the ring is the only way to learn

Sent from my iPad