[Python-ideas] Cleaner separation of help() and interactive help.

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Feb 7 22:14:40 CET 2011

Ron Adam wrote:

> It also can be annoying (to me) when I use help and the result is
> cleared after the pager is done with it.

Yeah, that annoys me too. I can't imagine why anyone thought it was
a good idea to design a pager that way. Come to think of it, the
whole concept of a pager is something of an anti-feature nowadays,
when most people's "terminal" is really a gui window with its own
scrolling facilities that are considerably better than the pager's.

What I'd really like is for interactive help output to appear in
a new window, preferably using by favourite text editor so I can
use its searching facilities, which are also considerably better
than the pager's.

--
Greg