[Python-ideas] Changing the name of __pycache__

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Feb 9 12:16:28 CET 2011

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Raymond's suggestion is specifically addressed (and rejected) in PEP
> 3147: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3147/#pyc
>
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 7:07 PM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure why this was done. It looks like an unnecessary
>> limitation of the PEP.
>
> Because we wanted deleting the .py file to be the "one obvious way" to
> remove a module, rather than allowing "ghost modules" to hang around
> in __pycache__.

Isn't that a rather rare use case nowadays where packages and
modules are usually installed as egg directories ?

You typically delete the whole egg dir to remove an installed
module/package and don't really care what's inside the directory.

> Sourceless imports use the legacy .pyc location to
> distinguish them as a deliberate distribution choice over the "mere"
> caching in __pycache__. (Note that the original version of PEP 3147
> didn't support sourceless distribution at all).

Ok, but why don't those pyc files support the same <magic> add-on
as the files in the __pycache__ dir ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 09 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/