[Python-ideas] Changing the name of __pycache__

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 19:10:24 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2011, at 9:30 AM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 09:07:05 -0800
>> Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>>> +1 on ".pycache" as well.
>>
>> Well, unless you propose postponing the forthcoming 3.2 release for
>> that, it's probably too late anyway.
>
> Yes, I propose that we do that now (3.2rc2).
>
> It is a simple exercise with sed to change it
> and not hard to get right.
>
> We've gotten +1 on .pycache from:
>   Mark Lemburg, Ethan Furman, David Malcolm, and me.

FWIW, count me as "-1".    I would say: "Don't fix it if it ain't
broke".  I've just recently started to remember  where .pyc files went
in recent versions and don't want to relearn the directory name again
or worse learn how to figure out the name that changes from setup to
setup.  I'd say visibility of __pychache__ is a virtue.   Users who
don read "what's new" are likely to notice it and learn about the new
feature.