[Python-ideas] Changing the name of __pycache__

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 23:38:57 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:45 AM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> We've gotten +1 on .pycache from:
>   Mark Lemburg, Ethan Furman, David Malcolm, and me.
>
> AFAICT, the only thing going for __pycache__ is that that
> is was is already in the tree.  So far, no one has said they
> prefer that name to .pycache.

I expect a lot folks involved in the original choice of __pycache__ as
the name figured this discussion would fizzle out, and hence didn't
reply, especially since PEP 3147 already made this choice explicit
with Guido backing the idea for the same reasons given in this thread
(http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3147/#pyc)

Cheers,
Nick.