[Python-ideas] Changing the name of __pycache__

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Feb 10 01:35:01 CET 2011

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why alienate sourceless distributions by not supporting the same
>> logic in the main package dir ?
>
> Because a large number of the people involved in the PEP 3147
> discussions wanted to drop support for sourceless imports completely,
> including the folks doing the implementation work. Retaining legacy
> sourceless imports was a compromise that preserved existing
> functionality without increasing the implementation effort needed for
> the PEP.

I must have missed that discussion and couldn't find it in the
python-dev archives either. Otherwise I would have chimed in earlier.
Do you have a pointer ?

> Changing that will require a patch and advocacy from folks that are
> actually *fans* of sourceless distribution, as opposed to merely
> tolerating them as an arguably necessary evil.

What's evil about a sourceless distribution ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Feb 10 2011)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/