[Python-ideas] Changing the name of __pycache__

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Feb 10 08:04:46 CET 2011

Greg Ewing writes:
 > On 10/02/11 11:44, Nick Coghlan wrote:
 >
 > > Changing that will require a patch and advocacy from folks that are
 > > actually *fans* of sourceless distribution, as opposed to merely
 > > tolerating them as an arguably necessary evil.
 >
 > Labelling sourceless distributions as a "necessary evil" comes
 > across to me as a political stance, not based on any technical
 > argument. I don't think that this kind of ideological thinking
 > should have any place in deciding what goes into Python.

Note that Nick is *not* doing any labeling in that post (I don't know
what his actual opinion is).  He is saying that the people doing the
work don't want to do this, and it's up to those who want it to do
that work, which at this point will include "not screwing up the
existing proposal."

I grant that it's likely that there will be ideology-based responses
of "oh, let's not do that at all", but that's not where Nick is coming
from in the quoted post.