[Python-ideas] Changing the name of __pycache__

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Feb 10 08:31:40 CET 2011

On 2/9/2011 12:45 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> We've gotten +1 on .pycache from:
>     Mark Lemburg, Ethan Furman, David Malcolm, and me.

A very biased sample. Knowing/remembering that the matter was already
discussed and decided, I had no reason to say anything.

On Windows, trying to rename a folder from 'New Folder' to '.pycache'
(or anything beginning with '.') FAILS with "You must type a file name."
Ditto for ordinary files. Whether the illegal name can be forced with
Windows API calls that bypass the user-level check, I do not know.

> AFAICT, the only thing going for __pycache__ is that that
> is was is already in the tree.

On Windows, it is a legal filename ;-).

--
Terry Jan Reedy