[Python-ideas] Module aliases and/or "real names"

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 12:26:01 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:
> On the python side of things, the attributes we've been discussing almost
> never have anything to do with what most programs are written to do. Unless
> it's a program written specifically for managing pythons various parts. It's
> kind of like the problem of separating content, context, and presentation in
> web pages.  Sometimes it's hard to do.

Yep - 99.99% of python code will never care if this is ever fixed.
However, the fact that we've started using acceleration modules and
pseudo-packages in the standard library means that "things should just
work" is being broken subtly in the stuff we're shipping ourselves
(either by creating pickling problems, as in unittest, or misleading
introspection results, as in functools and datetime).

And if we're going to fix it at all, we may as well fix it right :)

Cheers,
Nick.