[Python-ideas] values in vs. values out

Alexander Belopolsky alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 20:44:02 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Masklinn <masklinn at masklinn.net> wrote:
> .. I don't see how it would be possible to replicate Python's breadth of arguments unpacking in return values.

What I do miss sometimes is the ability to inject the contents of a
dictionary into locals.  For example, when I get the results of a
database query in a list of dictionaries or named tuples, I would like
to do something like

for <locals> in sql('select name, age from students'):
     print(name, age)

I can achieve that with hacks like

for x in sql('select name, age from students'):
     locals().update(*x)
     print(name, age)

but I don't think this is guaranteed to work and it is ugly and inefficient.